CHICAGO — Public park advocates have filed a lawsuit against the city of Chicago seeking to stop construction of the Obama Presidential Center.
The Chicago Sun-Times reports the federal lawsuit by Protect Our Parks Inc. seeks a court order barring the Chicago Park District and other city agencies from approving the building of former President Barack Obama’s center in Jackson Park. The group also wants to bar the city from giving control of the center’s site to the Obama Foundation.
The lawsuit says the original plan was to transfer public park land to the foundation for the purpose of housing an official federal Obama library, but that now the center will not include Obama’s official presidential library.
A spokesman for Mayor Rahm Emanuel says the center is an opportunity to invest millions of dollars on Chicago’s South Side.
To get more news and updates click on:http://wgntv.com/2018/05/15/lawsuit-filed-to-block-obama-center-in-chicago-park/
CHICAGO — Chicago police are teaming up with federal authorities to combat the rising number of carjackings.
They’ve formed a joint task force, aimed at cracking down on those behind the crimes.
Last year, there were nearly 1,000 carjackings in Chicago.
Police say juveniles are behind a majority of them, and adult gang leaders are the reason why. The gang leaders are said to put the teens up to the carjackings because they know they rarely get jail time for the crime.
Johnson said the task force will aim to prosecute those carrying out the carjackings, as well as those directing them.
To get more news and updates click on: http://wgntv.com/2018/02/05/chicago-police-team-up-with-federal-state-officials-to-combat-rise-in-carjackings/
CHICAGO — Six people were killed and 22 others injured in shootings across Chicago over the weekend.
At 11 p.m. Sunday, a man was shot on the 800 block of Lake Shore Drive.
He was at a stoplight when another car pulled up beside him. Someone inside the vehicle started shooting.
The victim was hit in the leg.
He is in stable condition. No one is in custody.
To get more news and updates click on: http://wgntv.com/2018/01/22/6-killed-22-injured-in-shootings-across-chicago-over-weekend/
Illinois joined 3DaysCount with support from the state Supreme Court, the Administrative Office of the Illinois Courts (AOIC), and state representative Carol Ammons. Together, the team identified three overall 3DaysCount goals: restrict pretrial detention, after due process, to people who pose an unmanageable risk to public safety or of failing to appear in court; provide judges with additional safe, fair, and cost-effective options as alternatives to pretrial detention; and increase public safety.
In April 2017, the Illinois supreme court issued a Statewide Policy Statement for Pretrial Services. As Chief Justice Lloyd A. Karmeier noted, the statement is a guide for all trial courts and emphasizes that “Illinois pretrial principles and practices are founded upon the presumed innocence of the accused.” In July, the court approved the creation of the Illinois State Commission on Pretrial Practices; participants will
include representatives from all three branches of government, law enforcement, public defenders, and representatives of victims, among others.
These developments occurred within a larger context that included passage of statewide legislation that, among other things, establishes a clear presumption for release on the least restrictive non-financial conditions needed to provide reasonable assurance of public safety and court appearance and allows the Supreme Court to implement a pretrial assessment in judicial districts throughout the state. Also, in Cook
County (Chicago), the site of ongoing litigation surrounding bail practices, the chief judge
promulgated changes to the court rules that would limit bond amounts to each individual’s ability to pay, replacing all bond judges and renaming the Central Bond Court as the Pre-Trial Division in the process.
To get mores news and updates click on: https://university.pretrial.org/HigherLogic/System/DownloadDocumentFile.ashx?DocumentFileKey=3230ac3c-1e92-e7f2-5867-a02bf8055949&forceDialog=0
Website that this study was sited in, see above.
CHICAGO — An attempted robbery ended with a deadly shooting in the city’s Englewood neighborhood.
Three men were standing behind a building near 71st and Laflin Tuesday night, when they were approached by two other men who attempted to rob them.
Shots were fired between the groups and two men were struck by bullets.
One of the men, who tried to rob the others, was killed.
Another man was hit in the leg and his condition has stabilized.
To get more news and updates click on:http://wgntv.com/2017/10/25/1-killed-1-injured-after-attempted-robbery-turns-into-shootout-in-englewood/
BELLWOOD, Ill. — Four people were shot in west suburban Bellwood, Ill.
The shooting happened Monday night around 11 p.m. on the 1000 block of Bellwood Avenue.
The four victims range in age from 23 to 47.
They were outside together when the shooter opened fire.
Three men and one woman were taken to Loyola University Hospital to be treated.
They are all expected to survive.
To get more news and updates click on: http://wgntv.com/2017/09/05/4-injured-in-bellwood-shooting/
JOLIET, Ill. — Preliminary autopsy results show a Chicago-area mother suffered a gunshot wound to the head and her twin 6-year-old daughters each were shot more than once in what authorities are investigating as murders and a suicide.
The (DeKalb) Daily Chronicle reports that autopsies were performed Tuesday on the bodies of 41-year-old Celisa Henning and daughters, Makayla and Addison.
Their bodies were found Monday afternoon in a Joliet home.
The Will County coroner’s office says a manner of the deaths will be determined upon the conclusion of the police investigation, and autopsy and toxicology reports.
The newspaper reports that Norma Henning said her daughter-in-law had been suffering health problems following a car accident.
Joliet police Deputy Chief Al Roechner said he didn’t know if Celisa Henning had medical issues before the shootings.
To get more news and updates click on: http://wgntv.com/2017/08/30/coroner-mom-twin-daughters-found-dead-in-joliet-home-suffered-gunshot-wounds/
A photo of an exhausted police officer after a 12-hour shift helping rescue Hurricane Harvey victims has been shared by thousands online.
Texas sheriff’s deputy Robert Goerlitz was captured passed out through tiredness following a night shift in the wake of catastrophic flooding in the Texas metropolis.
He was grabbing some much-needed sleep having “worked until he couldn’t stand anymore”, the photo caption explained.
“This photo was sent to me by friend at the Harris County Sheriff’s Office,” the Facebook post said.
“This deputy worked 12+ hours through the night, doing high water rescues.
“This man and hundreds more just like him are out there, saving Texans!! Much respect sir!”
His incredible efforts have been praised online, with one posting: “I know this man personally and he truly is a hero. He has always put others before himself both personally and professionally. I am honored to call this man a friend.”
An estimated 30,000 people have been left temporarily homeless following ‘unprecedented’ flooding after a year’s rain fell in just a week.
To get more pictures or details click on:https://www.yahoo.com/news/apos-worked-until-couldn-apos-130810564.html
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. — House Speaker Michael Madigan canceled today’s legislative session to deal with education funding.
Madigan was expected to call for an override vote on Governor Bruce Rauner’s amendatory veto of the school funding formula at today’s session.
At issue in the veto is $500 million for Chicago Public Schools.
Legislative leaders met in Madigan’s office for several hours yesterday.
Republican leaders who left the meeting said progress was made, and they plan to continue negotiations on Thursday.
Madigan says he will override the vote next week if an agreement isn’t reached by the end of this week.
To get more news and updates click on:http://wgntv.com/2017/08/23/madigan-cancels-session-on-education-funding/
CHICAGO — A man was killed and six people were injured after a shooting on the street near Chicago police headquarters.
The shooting happened around 10:30 p.m. Tuesday near 37th and Michigan Avenue in the city’s Bronzeville neighborhood.
All of the victims were standing on a sidewalk when someone fired at the group.
Of the seven shot, five of them are women.
Most of the victims were shot in the leg, but a man was hit in the back and did not survive.
The man has been identified as 28-year-old Alfred Mitchell Jr.
To get details and updates click on: http://wgntv.com/2017/08/09/7-shot-one-fatal-in-bronzeville/